Scratch Ass Lemon Meringue Pie
This recipe comes from the "Million Dollar Baby's" Sportsmen's Restaurant in Theodosia Missouri. Sportsmen's is a gathering place for "locals" and tourists alike.
The recipe make 4 Scratch Ass Pies. Bake them and share them with folks.
2 Quarts Water 2 Pounds Sugar
½ Ounce Salt 10 Fluid Ounces of Lemon Juice
2 Ounces of Lemon Rind 6 Ounces of Cornstarch
8 Ounces of Egg Yolks 4 Ounces of Butter
1 Pint of Egg Whites
2 Lbs. of Sugar
1. Combine 3 pints of water, 1 pound of sugar, salt, lemon juice and rind: bring to a boil.
2. Combine 1 Lb. of sugar and cornstarch, mix together.
3. Combine egg yolks and 1 pint of water, add to sugar-cornstarch mixture, mix until blended and reserve.
4. When the lemon juice-water comes to a boil, temper into cornstarch yolk mixture, put back on the heat and return to boil. Remove immediately from stove.
5. Stir in butter, scale 26 ounces into prebaked pie shells and cool.
6. For meringue topping: In a clean bowl, whip egg whites, gradually add sugar and whip to form stiff peaks.
7. Using a pastry bag with a #8 plain tip or a pallet knife, divide into 4 equal parts and swirl onto pies. Dust with powdered sugar, brown off in a 425° F oven.